JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
JOB TITLE: Purbeck PCN Clinical Director
PAY BAND: £330 per session
LOCATION: Within any of our 6 GP Practices in the PCN
ACCOUNTABLE TO: N/A
HOURS OF WORK: Part time – 4 sessions per week (2 sessions per week of Clinical time,
and 2 sessions per week of Clinical Director work)
CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent
Primary Care Networks (PCNs) are groups of GP surgeries working together with a range of local
providers, including community services, social care, and the voluntary sector. PCNs build on core
primary care services and enable greater provision of proactive, personalised, coordinated and
more integrated health and social care through delivery of national and local service specifications
alongside PCN initiatives.
Purbeck PCN is forward-thinking and continuously looking for further areas of growth. All six
practices meet on a regular basis, placing our patients at the heart of the work that we do.
The Clinical Director will work alongside the network practices to facilitate the delivery of the Network
DES, optimise the PCN workforce and support practices in the delivery of high quality care for the
networks patient population whilst ensuring the continued viability of the member practices and their
existing workforce. This is more than just a ‘managerial’ position and the key relationship the Clinical
Director will have is with the member practices and ensuring their GP’s/Nurses/Practice Managers
are supported to deliver good quality care balanced against a manageable workload.
Strategic and Clinical Leadership and Governance
• Developing and implementing strategic plans, leading, and supporting quality improvement
and performance across member practices (including professional leadership of the Quality
and Outcomes Framework Quality Improvement activity across the network).
• The Clinical Director would not be solely responsible for the operational delivery of services;
this will be a collective responsibility of the PCN.
• They will provide strategic leadership for workforce development, through assessment of
clinical skill-mix and development of a PCN workforce strategy.
• They will support PCN implementation of agreed service changes and pathways, and will
work closely with member practices, the commissioner, and other networks to develop,
support and deliver local improvement programs aligned to national priorities.
• They will develop local initiatives that enable delivery of the PCN’s agenda, working with
commissioners and other networks to reflect local needs and ensuring initiatives are
• They will develop relationships and work closely with other Clinical Directors, clinical leaders
of other primary care, health and social care providers, local commissioners, Dorset and
Wessex LMC and the Dorset Alliance of General Practice.
Clinical Diector – PPCN Page 2 of 3
• They will facilitate participation by practices within the PCN in research studies and will act
as a link between the PCN and local primary care research networks and research
• They will represent the PCN at CCG-level clinical meetings and the ICS/STP, contributing to
the strategy and wider work of the ICS/STP.
• Delivery of Workshops & Introductory strategic planning sessions with PCN partners to
promote Population Health Management and Care Models for the network, developing a
population health profile and review process.
Conflicts of Interest
• The Purbeck PCN will be responsible for managing any conflicts of interest.
• The Clinical Director will take a lead role in developing Purbeck PCN’s conflict of interest
policy, taking account of what is in the best interests of the PCN and its patients.
Resource Management and Planning
• Supporting existing partners to scope, plan, develop and support an Integrated Care Team
provision within the wider Network.
• Service Integration Priorities planning with integrated Care Teams working across entire
network service provisions and resource.
• Collaboration with Network partners to ensure both decisive and indicative workforce and
organisation development plans are created and implemented across network within set
Network Contractual & Business matters
• Ensure data sharing agreements are in place across the Network and where relevant wider
• Initiate a Network business continuity plan, working with existing Network leadership to
support evolution into wider network plan as appropriate.
• Work with existing Network teams to consider different models of provider collaborations
and identify any intentions/recommendations.
• MRCGP is desirable
• At least 5 years experience as a GP partner
• Have worked in Purbeck within the last 2 years [Locum or salaried positions acceptable]
• To have had involvement in management within a PCN, CCG or ICS
• To have shown interest or involvement in work for a PCN
• Chairing of meetings
• Working with organisations outside of a practice in a collaborative manner
• Good communication with fellow GPs and Practice Managers
• Ability to write concise reports and construct strategies
• Be able to balance leadership with service to the practices of the PCN
• To represent Purbeck PCN within the ICS and achieve favorable terms
• Be able to contribute to the Dorset system
• To be a good presenter