This is fantastic opportunity to join Gillingham Medical Practice as a Healthcare Assistant. We are looking for experienced, enthusiastic people to take an active role in our team, providing high quality care to our rural population of over 12,950 patients.
The role is varied and interesting, with clinical opportunities from phlebotomy, to ECGs, to blood pressures, to administering injections. Our current HCAs have extended their role into SmokeStop services, dressings, and proactive care
We have a wide range of staff and excellent working relationships within our Primary Care Network, including with the community, Dorset HealthCare, and our patients. There are therefore ample opportunities to pursue areas of interest and development.
Main duties of the job
The right candidate would have phlebotomy experience and ideally experience in:
- blood pressure monitoring
- administering vaccinations and injections under PSDs
- maintaining accurate records
- maintaining patient confidentiality
- working with a diverse range of patients and colleagues
The right candidate will be:
- calm under pressure
- able to work as part as a team
- able to take initiative and work autonomously when required
- committed to providing excellent patient care at all times
- willing to be flexible and go the extra mile when needed
- keen to develop new skills and ways of working
We are a friendly, high-performing semi-rural GP Practice in North Dorset, within easy reach of the A30 and A303.
We have six GP Partners and a wide range of other members of the team, including management, Salaried GPs, Advanced Practitioners, Nurses, HCAs, and excellent admin support. Through our Primary Care Network, we have access to First Contact Physiotherapy, a Clinical Pharmacist, and a growing and ground-breaking Social Prescribing team. We actively involve our patients as much as possible, through our Patient Participation Group and via our Health Champions.
We prioritise excellent patient care, but also focus on work/life balance and being family friendly. Many of the leadership team have young children, which makes us even more attuned to the challenges of balancing vocations and families.
We are based over two sites in Gillingham, The Barn (SP8 4XS) and Peacemarsh (SP8 4FA).
Working under the direct supervision of the Lead Practice Nurse and strictly in accordance with specific Practice guidelines and protocols, the Healthcare Assistant will assist the Practice clinical team in the provision and delivery of prescribed programmes of patient care.
This is a part time role based on 28hrs
Shift pattern negotiable
Duties and Responsibilities:
Adminster flu, Pneumovax and B12 injections under PSD
INR* clinics Practitioner
Processing and management of laboratory samples requested by GPs/ Nurses
Infection control monitoring, and cleaning
Blood Pressure monitoring
Vaccine/ cold chain storage, monitoring and recording and reporting
Surgical equipment and stock rotation
Clearing and re-stocking consulting rooms
Preparing and maintaining environments and equipment before, during and after patient care interventions including assisting GPs during the performance of minor operations
Assisting in the assessment and surveillance of patients health and well-being
Undertaking specific clinical activities for named patients that have been delegated and taught specifically in relation to that individual
Helping to raise awareness of health and well-being and how it can be promoted
Entering data on SystmOne
Work in the community to support frail patients and the housebound.
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, Practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the Practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the Practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the Practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health & Safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others health, safety and security as defined in the Practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to Practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Reporting potential risks identified
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of peoples rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with Practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
Personal/ Professional Development:
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the Practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/ or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the Practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the teams performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognise peoples needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Contribution to the Implementation of Services:
The post-holder will:
- Apply Practice policies, standards and guidance
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
- Participate in audit where appropriate
- GCSE grade A to C in English and Maths
- Qualified in Phlebotomy
Knowledge and skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to provide quality care.
- Ability to reflect on and learn from own performance.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to show initiative and work independently.
- Understanding of patient confidentiality and Data Protection.
- Experience of providing direct patient care.
- Experience of dealing with a wide range of people.
- Experience with computer systems, including Microsoft Office.
- Experience of phlebotomy.
- Experience of working in a GP practice.
- Experience of monitoring blood pressures.
- Experience of administering ECGs.
- Experience of administering vaccinations and injections.
- Experience with SystmOne.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Gillingham Medical Practice