An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Westbourne Medical Centre, part of Poole Bay & Bournemouth Primary Care Network (PCN), for the position of an organised Prescribing Clerk to join our forward-thinking practice.
We are a successful 19,800 patient practice located in Westbourne, Bournemouth (BH4 9HJ) with a growing patient list. We have a fantastic clinical and non-clinical team and pride ourselves on the exceptional level of health care offered to our patients. We constantly strive to innovate and improve our services and ways of working.
This role will suit someone who has worked in a pharmacy or GP surgery, with some knowledge of prescriptions and/or receptionist/administration skills, and who is willing to be trained up further.
You will be the first point of contact for patients requesting their repeat prescriptions. Your role will include processing these requests accurately and in a timely manner. You will liaise closely with our GPs, Clinical Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians and local community pharmacies, as well as having direct contact with patients and their carers.
You will have excellent communication skills and speak to our patients in a caring manner; you will need to be able to work on your own and to prioritise your work.
You will make calls to, and receive calls from patients, pharmacies and healthcare professionals. You will identify where medication reviews and other aspects of patient care are due and help organise this work. You will help to keep patient records up to date.
This is a key role assisting the clinical and administration teams across our practices in organising patient care and helping to ensure that medicines are issued in a safe and timely manner.
To carry out duties with a positive attitude and can-do approach towards problem solving
Flexible hours – part-time, permanent
- Process all repeat medication requests sent in by patients, community pharmacies and nursing homes in a timely manner
- Liaise with patients and pharmacies regarding prescription queries and requests
- Work with the practice medicines Management teams, clinicians and other practice staff to resolve all medicines related queries
- Liaise with hospital staff with reference to discharge and clinic letters
- Check patient records for chronic disease and drug monitoring, and arrange for testing and review as appropriate
- Enter relevant patient information accurately onto SystmOne
- Use the Prescription Tracker to establish the status of electronic prescriptions
- Undertake any other duties appropriate to the post as requested
- Experience within a pharmacy setting
Personal Qualities – Essential
- Good level of IT skills/typing skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and sensitively, both verbally and written to patients and staff at a range of levels.
- Excellent organisation skills demonstrate the ability to organise systems and paperwork in an office environment.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to transfer accurate information.
- Work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to adapt and respond to change.
- The ability to use own initiative within clear boundaries, seeking advice when necessary.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and a strong sense of team spirt.
- Able to promote good working relationships
- Computer literate in SystmOne clinical system
- Computer literate in Microsoft Word and Outlook
- Flexibility and willingness to support all multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity, empathy and compassion to the needs of the service users and carers
- Ability to motivate others
- Flexible attitude to working patterns
Experience – Essential
- Experience within the NHS or similar health care setting
- Experience in a customer focused environment
- Evidence of working within a multidisciplinary team
- Knowledge of primary care in the NHS
- Excellent induction and ongoing training opportunities (both internal and external)
- Flexible working pattern to suit work / home life
- NHS Pension
- Contractual Sick Pay
- Blue Light Card employee benefit scheme, with retail discounts offered across thousands of stores.
- Internal Reward & Recognition scheme
- 20 days annual leave – pro-rata with additional 1 day of annual leave on each year of completed service until 25 days.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Part-time hours: Flexible, to be discussed
Salary: £10.30 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Westbourne, Bournemouth, BA4 9HJ : reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
The successful candidate must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter via email