Posted: 1 month ago
Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
£40,037 - £74,661
‘Providing the excellent care that we would expect for our own families’
Join the HSJ 2018 Highly Commended Trust of the year, to deliver our vision to more than 500,000 people across Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch. Currently The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (RBCH) includes Royal Bournemouth Hospital, Christchurch Hospital and a Sterile Services Department at Alderney Hospital.
It’s a very exciting time here in Dorset with a recent review kick-starting major improvements to the way healthcare is provided. Among which is the proposed merge with fellow acute hospital Poole Hospital. Our Joint CEO Debbie Fleming is passionate about our collective goal to create a new organisation that is even better, and change how we deliver care in a way that will improve services and deliver better outcomes
SPECIALTY DOCTOR X 2
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Dorset pathology team. We are currently making significant progress with a vision to create a first class integrated pathology service.
The ‘One Dorset Pathology’ service for The Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals (RBCH), Poole General Hospital (PGH) & Dorset County Hospital (DCH) will provide clinicians, patients & carers with a consistent & high standard of service across the area & will maximise efficiency in the use of resources.
Staff will be able to develop to their full potential & substantial investment has been agreed, offering opportunities for service development & state-of-the-art modernisation.
Royal Bournemouth Hospital is a very busy UKAS accredited department with a high cancer workload. There will be an opportunity to develop an area of special interest & be involved in the training of Specialty Trainees.
The reporting services include breast, colo-rectal, upper GIT & urological cancer excisions, as well as low grade gynaecological cancer excisions. All pathological biopsies are available except for medical renal cores. Non-gynae cytology is available, including pulmonary-pleural, urine, breast, thyroid & neck FNA as well as EUS & EBUS specimens. Remote telepathology is being used in the cytology clinics. Frozen sections, skin IMF service as well as Mohs, are also provided. Also, the in-house molecular pathology unit provides flow cytometry, EGFR & KRAS testing.
The Trust is committed to continuing professional development and opportunities for research exist. The main laboratory processing hub is based at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital and it provides the service for both RBCH and PGH.
At Poole General Hospital, the Histopathology and Cytopathology service covers Poole, Swanage, Wimborne & additionally some of the outlying areas in Dorset. The reporting services including non-gynae cytology, frozen sections and specimen dissection (Head & Neck, breast, colo-rectal & gynae) are provided. The laboratory at RBCH provides the technical processing of the specimens.
At Dorset County Hospital, the Diagnostic work includes surgical pathology & non-gynae cytology. There is an opportunity to be involved in providing renal pathology for the regional Renal Unit based in Dorchester.
Applications are invited for a “Specialty Doctor” position within the One Dorset pathology (ODP) which comprises RBCH, PGH & DCH. This is a complementary post and the appointee will be based in the Royal Bournemouth Hospital but may opt to work on any of the three sites, under the wider One Dorset Pathology team, once established.
These 2 posts are for full-time Specialty Doctors in Histopathology, The intended posts are based on a 10 programmed activity sessions (PA) contract including 1 supporting programmed activity (SPA) session. However the appointee may be offered an optional extra PA due to the clinical workload, as on Direct Clinical Care (DCC) basis.
Any applicant who is unable for personal reasons, to work full-time will still be considered for the post on a part-time or job-sharing basis, if they so wish. If such a person is appointed, modification of the job content will be discussed on a personal basis with the Trust in consultation with consultant colleagues
Further information can be obtained by contacting:
Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals - Dr. Joseph Chacko, Clinical Director (01202 444797) / Joseph.email@example.com), Dr. Wessam Al-Utayem, Consultant Pathologist (01202 704831 / Wessam.Al-Utayem@rbch.nhs.uk), or Mr Paul Massey, Directorate Manager (01202 704780 / Paul.Massey@rbch.nhs.uk)
Poole Hospital - Dr. Will Chong, Clinical Lead for Histopathology (01202 448104 / firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mr Darren Jose, Pathology General Manager (01202 442494 / email@example.com)
Dorset County Hospital – Dr. Teresa Thomas, Consultant Histopathologist (01305 254300 / firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mr Paul Davies, Interim Pathology Services manager (01305 254344 / email@example.com)
One Dorset Pathology - Dr. Rasaq Olufadi, Clinical Director – (01305 254333 / firstname.lastname@example.org), or Mr Stephen Harding, Head of Service (email@example.com)
SALARY: £40,037 - £74,661 per annum
HOURS: 10 Programmed Activities per week
Closing date: Monday 11th November 2019
Interview date: TBC week commencing 25th November 2019
Why join us? Not only do we offer an excellent service to our patients, we also work hard to support our staff and ensure they feel valued and supported. Every day, we value great team work, improving and adapting, communicating well and taking pride in what we do for patients. We also enjoy a great place to live on the south cost, from award winning beaches to beautiful views!
Advert may be removed before the end date if applicant numbers are high.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
1. Please show us that you are right for this job by relating your application to the criteria for the post as detailed in the job description and person specification shown in the right hand column.
2. You will find out if you have been shortlisted by checking your email (including junk and spam mail) and NHS jobs account regularly. If you have not heard from us within 21 days of the closing date we regret that your application is unsuccessful this time.
3. If you join us and need a DBS check, we will deduct from your salary all or some of the cost (dependent on your banding) currently £48.43. Many staff use the DBS update service at a cost of £13.00 p.a. but you need to sign up for this asap via their website.
4. If you come with no previous NHS experience, it is usual to appoint to the minimum of the band.
5. The Trust is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from everyone regardless of ethnicity, disability, gender, age, faith or sexual orientation. We seek to establish a workforce as diverse as the population we serve.
6. In completing this application you are giving us permission to contact the Home Office/UKBA to establish your immigration status and eligibility to work with us. Previous NHS service will be verified with the relevant employers (if relevant).
7. Travel expenses are not always payable so please check with HR before you travel.
8. Appointment to the post is subject to satisfactory completion of a 6 month probationary period.
GET JOB ALERTS
Enter your email address to receive job updates similar to this role
Closing Date: 11/11/2019