How Sleep Works and How to Make the Most of Yours, with Dr Sophie Bostock
What difference does an hour less sleep really make to your health and wellbeing?
Can you adapt to short sleep?
Why do you keep waking up in the middle of the night?
If you understand the systems which control your sleep, you will know which levers will be most important to you to improve your sleep quality. When it comes to putting changes into practice, the more sleep deprived we are, the harder it becomes to change behaviour. So, change has to be easy!
In this webinar, find out:
- Which aspects of your health and performance are most vulnerable to sleep loss
- The 3 systems which control when and how well you sleep, and how to influence them
- Strategies to help you stay alert, any time of day or night
- Proven strategies for switching off, and falling back to sleep
About Dr Sophie Bostock
Sophie has always been intrigued by why what makes us feel good and function well. She studied medicine at Nottingham University, followed by an MSc in Entrepreneurship. After several years in consulting, she completed a PhD in Health Psychology at University College London (UCL), investigating why happiness protects against heart disease, and how to improve wellbeing at work.
Sophie’s research pointed to sleep an unsung hero of mental and physical resilience. She spent the next 5 years working on Sleepio, Big Health’s award-winning digital sleep improvement programme, first as a research scientist, then UK Innovation Lead. She has published research in collaboration with the Sleep and Circadian Neuroscience Institute in Oxford, and international researchers, demonstrating the impacts of better sleep on mental health and performance.
Sophie became a passionate advocate for the importance of sleep, and evidence-based therapy. Sophie was awarded an NHS Innovation Accelerator Fellowship in 2016, and helped to make Sleepio available on the NHS to a fifth of the UK population. Sophie has been invited to deliver talks for Tedx and Talks@Google, and regularly features as a sleep expert in national media.
Sophie now works as an independent Sleep Evangelist. Recent clients include the National Police Wellbeing Service, the Royal Marines, Bensons for Beds, Google, Unilever and Virgin Management. Sophie rowed around Britain in 2021 to raise £10k for the British Heart Foundation. She is currently training for 2022 British Coastal Rowing Championships.
About Thoughts & Conversations
Thoughts and Conversations is a virtual event series supporting staff who work in health and care organisations across Dorset to improve their health and wellbeing, leadership skills, and overall personal development.
- 9 Influential speakers
- 9 Interactive sessions
- Mental Health
- Emotional Wellness
- Work-Life Balance
- Managing Stress
- Being Active, Staying Active
- Financial Wellbeing
- Compassionate Leadership
- Planning and Organisation (Managing Workload)
- Supporting Each Other
What to Expect
- Share your thoughts in quality conversations with colleagues and industry leaders
- Learn how to adopt healthy lifestyle practices as a culture rather than a remedy
- Learn how to effectively apply wellbeing principles at work and at home to improve productivity
- Learn practical leadership skills from industry leaders and boost your leadership potential
- Network with colleagues from across the system
Schedule: April 2022 – August 2023
Venue: Virtual (MS Teams)
No registration required. Simply join in!
For more information and inquiries, please send an email to email@example.com.