Housing Support for Health and Care Staff
The programme, spanning Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, and Somerset, is known as Guardianship – Together For The Community and has been developed by NHS England and NHS Improvement in the South West in collaboration with Supportmatch Homeshare, an established UK firm.
- Support & Match CIC is the lead coordinator.
- Householders offer space to a fully-vetted member of staff or medical student, who in return will provide a few hours’ help around the home each week (if required) as well as companionship.
- Rent is below the local market rate.
- The Guardianship does not include the provision of care to the homeowner.
- No direct financial exchange between householder and housesharer.
- Opportunity for NHS and local authorities to actively identify homeowners who may benefit from having a healthcare professional or healthcare student living with them.
- Both parties can be referenced and DBS-checked.
- One-month trial period for both parties.
- Length of homeshare agreements is between 6months – 2 years.
- Regular ongoing reviews and support.
Dorset has agreed to be part of this pilot and the first homeowner across the South-West to seek a health and social care guardian (homesharer) is here in Dorset.
Please share this information with any staff member, new starter or student that is in need of accommodation and might be interested.